If you experienced the following error in Chrome : “Your Preferences can not be read. Some Features may be unavailable and changes to preferences won’t be saved” then probably your Chrome profile is corrupted or a malicious extension has compromised your Chrome settings.
To easily fix “Your Preferences cannot be read” Chrome error follow the steps below:
How to SOLVE “Your Preferences cannot be read” error in Chrome.
Important: Before you continue, take a backup of your Chrome bookmarks. If you don’t know how to do that, you can follow the instructions from this article: How to Backup & Restore Chrome Bookmarks (Favorites).
Step 1. Re-create Chrome profile folder.
Notice: You must enable the hidden files view to perform this task. To do that go to:
- Start > Control Panel > Folder Options & click the “View” tab.
- Click “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” &
- Uncheck the “Hide protected operating system files“
- Press “OK“
1. Close Google Chrome.
2. Navigate to the following location & Rename the “User Data” folder to “User Data.OLD” *.
Windows 8, 7 or Vista
- C:\Users\<Your_Username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data
- C:\Documents and Settings\<Your_Username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data
3. Open Google Chrome.* The “Your Preferences cannot be read” error should be gone!
*Note: When Google Chrome starts, it re-creates automatically a new clean “User Data” folder.
4. Restore your bookmarks file and you ‘re done! *
* Note: If the Chrome problem has resolved, then you can delete the “User Data.OLD” folder permanently.
Additional help: If you are still experiencing problems with your Chrome browser then install a totally fresh copy of Google Chrome by following these instructions.