Last updated on April 27th, 2014
Quick Start (New Tab) is an Adware software and upon installed on your computer, it modifies your computer settings in order to make money by displaying pop-up Ads or by redirecting your searches into advertisements from unknown publishers. If a computer is infected with “Quick Start” adware, then more pop-up ads are displayed on the victim’s computer screen and the computer speed is slowed down due to the malicious program running on the background.
Quick Start may install additional plugins (toolbars, extensions or add-ons) in the Web browser in order to present unwanted advertisements to the computer user. Adware programs like this, may contain malware (malicious software) on their code in order to compromise the computer security and make it vulnerable to hackers or malicious Internet attacks.
Technically, “Quick Start” is not a virus and is categorized as a malware program (“Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)” that may contain and install malicious programs on your computer, like adware, toolbars or viruses. If a computer is infected with “Quick Start” adware, then more pop-up ads, banners and sponsored links are displayed on the victim’s computer screen or in the Internet browser and in some cases, the computer speed may be slowed down due to malicious programs running on the background.
Quick Start adware program was probably installed without the user's notice because it is commonly bundled inside other freeware software which are downloaded -and installed- from known internet sites like “download.com (CNET)”, “Softonic.com”, etc. For that reason, you must always pay attention at the installations options for any program you install on your computer, because most software installers contains additional software that you never wanted to install. With simple words, DO NOT INSTALL ANY IRRELEVANT SOFTWARE that comes with the software installer of the program that you want to install. More specifically when you install a program on your computer:
- DO NOT PRESS the “Next” button too fast at the installation screens.
- READ & ACCEPT CAREFULLY the Terms and Agreements.
- ALWAYS SELECT: “Custom” installation.
- DECLINE to install any offered additional software that you don’t want to install.
- UNCHECK any option that says that your homepage and search settings will be modified.
If you want to easily remove “Quick Start – New Tab” Adware from your computer, follow the steps below:
How to remove/Uninstall Quick Start from your computer
Step 1. Uninstall unwanted programs from your Control panel.
1. To do this, go to:
- Windows 8/7/Vista: Start > Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel
2. Double click to open
- Add or Remove Programs if you have Windows XP
- Programs and Features if you have Windows 8, 7 or Vista.
3. When the program list is displayed on your screen, sort the programs displayed by Installation date (Installed on) and then find and Remove (Uninstall) any unknown application that was lately installed on your system. Also remove any of these adware applications listed below:
- MyPC Backup
- NewPlayer (TUGUU SL)
- Webssearches Uninstaller
- WPM18.104.22.16842 (By: Cherished Technology LIMITED)*
- * Also remove any other unknown or unwanted application.
Step 2: Remove Quick Start Adware with AdwCleaner.
1. Download and save “AdwCleaner” utility to your desktop.
2. Close all open programs and Double Click to open ”AdwCleaner” from your desktop.
3. Press “Scan”.
4. When the scan is completed, press “Clean” to remove all the unwanted malicious entries.
4. Press “OK” at “AdwCleaner – Information” and press “OK” again to restart your computer.
5. When your computer restarts, close "AdwCleaner" information (readme) window and continue to the next step.
Step 3. Remove ‘Quick Start” with JRT.
1. Download and run JRT – Junkware Removal Tool.
2. Press any key to start scanning your computer with “JRT – Junkware Removal Tool”.
3. Be patient until JRT scans and cleans your system.
4. Close JRT log file and and then reboot your computer.
Step 4. Remove "Quick Start" from your Internet browser.
Normally, after you follow the above steps, your internet browser should be clean from “Quick Start” adware. To make sure that the "Quick Start” add-on doesn’t exist anymore inside your browser, follow the instructions below:
How to clean “Quick Start” adware extension from Internet Explorer.
2. Choose “Toolbars and Extensions”on the left pane and then “Disable” any unwanted toolbar or extension.
- Extensions to disable/remove in this case:
- IETabPage Class
3. Restart Internet Explorer.
How to delete “Quick Start” extension from Chrome.
2. Choose “Extensions” from the left pane.
3. Remove the unwanted “Quick Start” extension by pressing the “recycle bin” icon in that line.
4. Restart Google Chrome.
How to remove “Quick Start” Ads from Firefox.
1. Click on “Firefox” menu button on the top left of Firefox window and go to “Add-ons”.
2. In “Extensions” options, click on “Remove” button to remove “Quick Start” & “Fortunitas” extensions*.
3. Close all Firefox windows and restart Firefox.
4. On Firefox URL box type the following command: about:config & press Enter.
7. Click at “I’ll be careful, I promise” button.
8a. In the search box type: “quick_start” & press Enter.
8b. Now right-click on every “quick_start” value found & select “Reset”.
9a. Repeat the same procedure, but this time write “fortunitas” in the search box & press “Enter”.
9b. Reset all “fortunitas” values if listed.
10. Close all Firefox windows and restart Firefox.
Step 5. Remove Quick Start with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
Download and install one of the most reliable FREE anti malware programs today to clean your computer from remaining malicious threats. If you want to stay constantly protected from malware threats, existing and future ones, we recommend that you install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium:
Quick download & Installation instructions:
- After you click the above link, press at the “Start My Free 14-Trial” option to start your download.
- To install the FREE version of this amazing product, uncheck the “Enable free Trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium” option at the last installation screen.
Scan & Clean your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
1. Run "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" and allow the program to update to its latest version and malicious database if needed.
2. When the update process is completed, press the “Scan Now” button to start scanning your system for malware and unwanted programs.
3. Now wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware finishes scanning your computer for malware.
4. When the scan has completed, first press the “Quarantine All” button to remove all threats and then click “Apply Actions”.
5. Wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removes all infections from your system and then restart your computer (if required from the program) to completely remove all active threats.
6. After the system restarts, run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to verify that no other threats remain in your system.
Advice: To ensure that your computer is clean and safe, perform a Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware full scan in Windows "Safe mode". Detailed instructions on how to do that you can find here.
Step 6. Clean unwanted files and entries.
Use “CCleaner” program and proceed to clean your system from temporary internet files and invalid registry entries.*
*If you don’t know how to install and use “CCleaner”, read these instructions.