Last updated on April 28th, 2014
IMesh Music Toolbar (by IAC Search and Media) is a browser hijacker that changes the default homepage and search settings to “search.ask.com” in popular Web browsers, such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, without the user’s permission. In fact, IMesh Music Toolbar hijacker is an adware program and it modifies the browser settings in order to perform browsing redirects into advertisements and earn money from their publishers.
IMesh Music Toolbar hijacker is designed to modify your browser settings and may install additional plugins (toolbars, extensions or add-ons) inside your Web browser in order to promote other links or products. Browser hijackers like this, may redirect users into malicious websites or may install malicious programs in order to compromise their computer to security risks.
Technically, “IMesh Music Toolbar” is not a virus and is categorized as a malware program (“Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)” that may contain and install malicious programs on your computer, like adware, toolbars or viruses. If a computer is infected with “IMesh Music Toolbar” hijacker, then more pop-up ads, banners and sponsored links are displayed on the victim’s computer screen or inside the Internet browser and in some cases, the computer speed may be slowed down due to malicious programs running on the background.
IMesh Music Toolbar was probably installed without the user's notice because it is commonly bundled inside other freeware software which are downloaded -and installed- from known internet sites like “download.com (CNET)”, “Softonic.com”, etc. For that reason, you must always pay attention at the installations options for any program you install on your computer, because most software installers contain additional software that you never wanted to install. With simple words, DO NOT INSTALL ANY IRRELEVANT SOFTWARE that comes with the software installer of the program that you want to install. More specifically, when you install a program on your computer:
- DO NOT PRESS the “Next” button too fast at the installation screens.
- READ & ACCEPT CAREFULLY the Terms and Agreements.
- ALWAYS SELECT: “Custom” installation.
- DECLINE the installation of any any offered additional software that you don’t want to install.
- UNCHECK any option that says that your homepage and search settings will be modified.
To uninstall “IMesh Music Toolbar”&remove "ASK Web Search” settings from your computer, follow the removal instructions given below:
How to get rid of IMesh Music Toolbar from your computer:
Step 1. Terminate & Delete “IMesh Music Toolbar ” malicious running processes with RogueKiller.
1. Download and save "RogueKiller" utility on your computer'* (e.g. your Desktop)
Notice*: Download version x86 or X64 according to your operating system's version. To find your operating system's version, "Right Click" on your computer icon, choose "Properties" and look at "System Type" section.
2. Double Click to run RogueKiller.
3. Let the prescan to complete (terminate malicious processes) and then press on "Scan" button to perform a full scan.
3. When the full scan is completed, press the "Delete" button to remove all malicious items found.
Step 2. Uninstall iMesh Music Toolbar from your computer.
1. To do this, go to:
- Windows 8/7/Vista: Start > Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel
2. Double click to open
- Add or Remove Programs if you have Windows XP
- Programs and Features if you have Windows 8, 7 or Vista.
3. In the program list, find and Remove (Uninstall) these applications :
- Music Toolbar For Chrome.
- Music Toolbar For Firefox.
Note: Also uninstall any other unwanted and unknown application.
Step 3: Clean “IMesh Music Toolbar” with AdwCleaner.
1. Download and save “AdwCleaner” utility to your desktop.
2. Close all open programs and Double Click to open ”AdwCleaner” from your desktop.
3. Press “Scan”.
4. When the scan is completed, press “Clean” to remove all the unwanted malicious entries.
4. Press “OK” at “AdwCleaner – Information” and press “OK” again to restart your computer.
Step 4. Remove “IMesh Music Toolbar” potentially unwanted program with JRT.
1. Download and run JRT – Junkware Removal Tool.
2. Press any key to start scanning your computer with “JRT – Junkware Removal Tool”.
3. Be patient until JRT scans and cleans your system.
4. Close JRT log file and and then reboot your computer.
Step 5. Ensure that “IMesh Music Toolbar” toolbar and “Ask.com” homepage & search settings are removed from your Internet Browser.
How to remove “IMesh Music Toolbar” from Internet Explorer.
1. From Internet Explorer main menu, click: "Tools " and choose "Internet Options".
2. At “General” tab, delete the unwanted homepage “home.tb.ask.com” from “Home page” box & type your preferred homepage (e.g. www.google.com)
3. At “Search” section, press “Settings” in Search section. *
Notice*: If you want to modify search settings in Internet explorer while in main Internet Explorer window, just press the “Gear” icon (on the top right corner) and choose “Manage Add-ons” .
4. On "Search Providers" options, choose and "Set as default" a search provider other than the “Ask Web Search” provider.
5. Then choose the “Ask Web Search” provider and click Remove.
6. Choose “Toolbars and Extensions” from the left pane and then select and Disable all unwanted toolbars and extensions from “iMesh” and “IAC Search and Media” publisher.
- iMesh Music Toolbar
7. Close all Internet Explorer windows and restart your browser.
How to remove “iMesh Music Toolbar” from Google Chrome.
2. Find the "On startup" section and choose "Set Pages".
3. Delete the "home.tb.ask.com" from startup pages by pressing the "X" symbol on the right.
4. Set your preferred startup page (e.g. http://www.google.com) and press "OK".
5. Under “Appearance” section, check to enable the “Show Home button” option and choose “Change”.
6. Delete the “search.ask.com” entry from “Open this page” box.
7. Type (if you like) your preferred webpage to open when you press your “Home page” button (e.g. www.google.com) or leave this field blank and press “OK”.
8. Go to "Search" section and choose "Manage search engines".
9. Choose your preferred default search engine (e.g. Google search) and press "Make default".
7. Then choose the Ask.com search engine “search.tb.ask.com" and remove it by pressing the "X" symbol at the right.
Choose "Done" to close "Search engines" window.
8. Choose "Extensions" on the left.
9. In “Extensions” options, remove the “Music Toolbar 32.9” unwanted extension by clicking the recycle icon on the right.
10. At the “URL Address Bar”, type the following command “chrome://plugins”& press “Enter”.
11. At “Plug-ins” page, disable the “iMesh plugin” and restart your browser.
12. Close all Google Chrome windows and restart Chrome.
How to remove “iMesh Music Toolbar” from Mozilla Firefox.
1. Click on “Firefox” menu button on the top left of Firefox window and go to “Options”.
2. In “General” tab, delete the unwanted homepage: “http://home.tb.ask.com” page from “Home Page” box & type your preferred homepage (e.g. http://www.google.com).
Press “OK” when finished.
3. From Firefox menu, go to “Tools” > “Manage Add-ons”.
4. Choose “Extensions” on the leftand then remove the unwanted “Music Toolbar (Dist. by iMesh, Inc) 1.8.1…” extension by pressing the "Remove" button.
5. Choose “Plugins” on the left and “Remove” the unwanted “iMesh plugin” or set it to “Never Activate“(Disable).
6. Close all Firefox windows and restart Firefox.
Step 6. Remove IMesh Music Toolbar with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
Download and install one of the most reliable FREE anti malware programs today to clean your computer from remaining malicious threats. If you want to stay constantly protected from malware threats, existing and future ones, we recommend that you install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium:
Quick download & Installation instructions:
- After you click the above link, press at the “Start My Free 14-Trial” option to start your download.
- To install the FREE version of this amazing product, uncheck the “Enable free Trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium” option at the last installation screen.
Scan & Clean your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
1. Run "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" and allow the program to update to its latest version and malicious database if needed.
2. When the update process is completed, press the “Scan Now” button to start scanning your system for malware and unwanted programs.
3. Now wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware finishes scanning your computer for malware.
4. When the scan has completed, first press the “Quarantine All” button to remove all threats and then click “Apply Actions”.
5. Wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removes all infections from your system and then restart your computer (if required from the program) to completely remove all active threats.
6. After the system restart, run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to verify that no other threats remain in your system.
Advice: To ensure that your computer is clean and safe, perform a Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware full scan in Windows "Safe mode". Detailed instructions on how to do that you can find here.
Step 7. Clean unwanted files and entries.
Use “CCleaner” program and proceed to clean your system from temporary internet files and invalid registry entries.*
*If you don’t know how to install and use “CCleaner”, read these instructions.