“Minibar” & “Apps Hat” are unwanted browser extensions which are installed on common Internet browsers. “Minibar” & “Apps Hat” extensions are identified by Malwarebyte Antimalware utility as “Potentially Unwanted Programs” (PUP) with the following names: “Pup.Optional.Minibar.A” & “Pup.Optional.Somoto.A”.
As “PUP – Potentially Unwanted Programs” are categorized all the programs that can potentially harm your computer. This type of programs in most cases is installed on the computer according to user permission because they are bundled inside free software that the user wants to install.
“PUPs” may include adware, toolbars, spyware or dialers in their code and for that reason users must pay attention when installing free software on their computers. PUPs may run on the computer background in order to make your computer insecure to viruses or remote computer attacks.
When “Pup.Optional.Minibar.A” & “Pup.Optional.Somoto.A” are installed on your computer, the computer speed is slowed down, the Web browser performs browsing redirects when you search the Internet or it displays results and advertisements from unknown publishers.
To remove “Pup.Optional.Minibar.A” & “Pup.Optional.Somoto.A” malicious programs from your computer follow the steps below:
How to remove “Minibar” & “Apps Hat” extensions from your computer:
Step 1. Stop and clean malicious processes with RogueKiller
1. Download and save "RogueKiller" utility on your computer'* (e.g. your Desktop)
Notice*: Download version x86 or X64 according to your operating system's version. To find your operating system's version, "Right Click" on your computer icon, choose "Properties" and look at "System Type" section.
2. Double Click to run RogueKiller.
3. Let the prescan to complete and then press on "Scan" button to perform a full scan.
3. When the full scan is completed, press the "Delete" button to remove all malicious items found.
Step 2. Uninstall all programs from “Somoto” publisher.
1. To do this, go to:
- Windows 8/7/Vista: Start > Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel
2. Double click to open
- Add or Remove Programs if you have Windows XP
- Programs and Features if you have Windows 8, 7 or Vista.
3. In the program list, find and Remove (Uninstall) the following applications:
- Video Converter (Somoto Ltd.)
- AppsHat Mobile Apps (Somoto Ltd.)
- Any other application from “Somoto Ltd.” publisher
Step 3. Delete remaining “Minibar” & “Apps Hat” hidden files
Notice: You must enable the hidden files view to perform this task.
1. Navigate to the following path’s & delete the following folders if they exist.
- C:\Program Files\Minibar
- Finally Delete all files under “C:\Temp” folder
Step 4: Clean remaining registry entries using “AdwCleaner”.
1. Download and save “AdwCleaner” utility to your desktop.
2. Close all open programs and Double Click to open ”AdwCleaner” from your desktop.
3. Press “Delete”.
4. Press “OK” at “AdwCleaner – Information” and press “OK” again to restart your computer.
5. When your computer restarts, close "AdwCleaner" information (readme) window and continue to the next step.
Step 5. Remove potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) with Junkware Removal Tool.
1. Download and run JRT – Junkware Removal Tool.
2. Press any key to start scanning your computer with “JRT – Junkware Removal Tool”.
3. Be patient until JRT scans and cleans your system.
4. Close JRT log file and then reboot your computer.
Step 6. Ensure that “Minibar & AppsHat” extensions don’t exist anymore in your Internet browser.
How to remove “Minibar – AppsHat” extensions from Internet Explorer.
1. Open Internet Explorer and then open go to IE’s file menu and choose:
“Tools” > “Manage Add-Ons”.
2. Select "Toolbars and extensions” & disable the following extensions:
- Visit AppsHat.com
3. Close all Internet Explorer windows and restart your browser.
4. Proceed to Step 7.
How to remove “Minibar – AppsHat” malicious extensions from Google Chrome.
2. Choose "Extensions" on the left.
3. Remove the unwanted “Apps Hat” extension from here by pressing the “recycle icon” to the right.
4. Close all Google Chrome windows and restart your browser.
5. Proceed to Step 7.
How to remove “Minibar – AppsHat” extensions from Mozilla Firefox.
1. Click on “Firefox” menu button on the top left of Firefox window and go to “Add-ons”.
2. Choose “Extensions” on the left and then remove the unwanted extension “Apps Hat” (if it exists there), by pressing the "Remove" button.
3. Close all Firefox windows and restart your browser.
4. Proceed to the next Step.
Step 7. Clean your computer from remaining malicious threats.
Download and install one of the most reliable FREE anti malware programs today to clean your computer from remaining malicious threats. If you want to stay constantly protected from malware threats, existing and future ones, we recommend that you install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO:
1. Run "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" and allow the program to update to its latest version and malicious database if needed.
2. When the "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" main window appears on your screen, choose the "Perform quick scan" option and then press "Scan" button and let the program scan your system for threats.
3. When the scanning is completed, press “OK” to close the information message and then press the "Show results" button to view and remove the malicious threats found.
4. At the "Show Results" window check – using your mouse's left button- all the infected objects and then choose the "Remove Selected" option and let the program remove the selected threats.
5. When the removal of infected objects process is complete, "Restart your system to remove all active threats properly".
6. Continue to the next step.
Advice: To ensure your computer is clean and safe, perform a Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware full scan in Windows “Safe mode“.*
*To get into Windows Safe mode, press the “F8” key as your computer is booting up, before the appearance of the Windows logo. When the “Windows Advanced Options Menu” appears on your screen, use your keyboard arrows keys to move to the Safe Mode option and then press “ENTER“.
Step 8. Clean unwanted files and entries.
Use “CCleaner” program and proceed to clean your system from temporary Internet files and invalid registry entries.*
*If you don’t know how to install and use “CCleaner”, read these instructions.
Step 9. Restart your computer for changes to take effect and perform a full scan with your antivirus program.
- How to Backup Synology NAS to External USB Drive. - December 11, 2023
- How to Send Automatic Replies in Outlook with an Office365/Exchange Account. - December 6, 2023
- How to Send Automatic Replies in Outlook with POP3/IMAP Accounts. - December 4, 2023