Last updated on March 5th, 2014
"SearchNewTab” is a browser adware and hijacker program that modifies your browser’s homepage and search settings in order to redirect your browsing results into advertisements from unknown vendors.
"SearchNewTab” can be installed on common Internet browsers (Internet Explorer, Chrome or Firefox) and it is probably installed on a user's computer as a bundled software inside other free programs that the user downloaded and installed from unknown Internet sources. For that reason, you must always pay attention at the installation options of any program that you want to install.
To remove “SearchNewTab” browser settings from your computer, follow the removal instructions given below:
How to remove SearchNewTab browser hijacker from your computer:
Step 1. Uninstall SearchNewTab from your Control panel.
1. To do this, go to:
- Windows 8/7/Vista: Start > Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel
2. Double click to open
- Add or Remove Programs if you have Windows XP
- Programs and Features if you have Windows 8, 7 or Vista.
3. In the program list, find and Remove / Uninstall the following programs:
- Search Assistant WebSearch
- Also uninstall from your computer any other unknown or unwanted application.
Step 2: Clean remaining registry entries using “AdwCleaner”.
1. Download and save “AdwCleaner” utility to your desktop.
2. Close all open programs and Double Click to open ”AdwCleaner” from your desktop.
3. Press “Scan”.
4. When the scan is completed, press “Clean” to remove all the unwanted malicious entries.
4. Press “OK” at “AdwCleaner – Information” and press “OK” again to restart your computer.
5. When your computer restarts, close "AdwCleaner" information (readme) window and continue to the next step.
Step 3. Remove “SearchNewTab” adware settings from your internet browser.
How to remove “SearchNewTab” adware settings from Internet Explorer.
1. From Internet Explorer main menu, click: "Tools " and choose "Internet Options".
2. At “General” tab, delete any unwanted homepage (e.g. http://websearch.youwillfind.info/) from the “Home page” box & type your preferred Home Page (e.g. www.google.com)
3. At “Search” section press “Settings”. *
Notice*: If you want to modify search settings in Internet explorer while in main Internet Explorer window, just press the “Gear” icon (on the top right corner) and choose “Manage Add-ons” .
4. On "Search Providers" options, choose and "Set as default" a different search provider (e.g. “Google”) than any unwanted search provider (e.g.“Websearch”).
5. Then choose the unwanted search provider (e.g. “Websearch”) & click Remove.
6. Choose “Toolbars and Extensions” on the left pane.
6a. Select and Disable (one by one) all the unwanted extensions:
- “WebSearch Assistant”
7. Close all Internet Explorer windows and restart Internet Explorer.
8. Proceed to Step 4.
How to remove “SearchNewTab” search settings from Google Chrome.
2. On “Startup” section, choose “Set Pages“.
3. Delete any unwanted webpage(e.g. “http://websearch.youwillfind.info/") from startup pages by pressing the "X" symbol on the right.
4. Set your preferred startup page (e.g. http://www.google.com) and press "OK".
5. Under “Appearance” section, check to enable the “Show Home button” option and choose “Change”.
6. Delete any unwanted webpage (e.g. “http://websearch.youwillfind.info/”) from “Open this page” box.
7. Type (if you like) your preferred webpage to open when you press your “Home page” button (e.g. www.google.com) or leave this field blank and press “OK”.
8. Go to "Search" section and choose "Manage search engines".
9. Choose your preferred default search engine (e.g. Google search) and press "Make default".
10 Then choose the unwanted search engine (e.g. “WebSearch”) and remove it by pressing the "X" symbol at the right.
Choose "Done" to close "Search engines" window.
11. Choose "Extensions" on the left.
12. Remove the unwanted extension “SearchNewTab” from here by pressing the “recycle icon” to the right.
13. Close all open windows and restart Google Chrome.
14. Proceed to Step 4.
How to remove SearchNewTab search settings from Mozilla Firefox.
1. Click on “Firefox” menu button on the top left of Firefox window and go to “Options”.
2. In “General” tab, delete any unwanted homepage (e.g. “http://websearch.youwillfind.info/”) from the “Home Page” box & type your preferred homepage (e.g. http://www.google.com).
Press “OK” when finished.
3. From Firefox menu, go to “Tools” > “Manage Add-ons”.
4. Choose “Extensions” on the left and then remove the unwanted “SearchNewTab” extension, by pressing the "Remove" button.
6. Close all Firefox windows and restart Firefox.
7. Proceed to the next Step.
Step 4. Clean your computer from remaining malicious threats.
Download and install one of the most reliable FREE anti malware programs today to clean your computer from remaining malicious threats. If you want to stay constantly protected from malware threats, existing and future ones, we recommend that you install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO:
1. Run "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" and allow the program to update to its latest version and malicious database if needed.
2. When the "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" main window appears on your screen, choose the "Perform quick scan" option and then press "Scan" button and let the program scan your system for threats.
3. When the scanning is completed, press “OK” to close the information message and then press the "Show results" button to view and remove the malicious threats found.
4. At the "Show Results" window check – using your mouse's left button- all the infected objects and then choose the "Remove Selected" option and let the program remove the selected threats.
5. When the removal of infected objects process is complete, "Restart your system to remove all active threats properly"
6. Continue to the next step.
Advice: To ensure your computer is clean and safe, perform a Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware full scan in windows “Safe mode“.*
*To get into Windows Safe mode, press the “F8” key as your computer is booting up, before the appearance of the Windows logo. When the “Windows Advanced Options Menu” appears on your screen, use your keyboard arrows keys to move to the Safe Mode option and then press “ENTER“.
Step 5. Clean unwanted files and entries.
Use “CCleaner” program and proceed to clean your system from temporary Internet files and invalid registry entries.*
*If you don’t know how to install and use “CCleaner”, read these instructions.