Last updated on July 9th, 2019
Microsoft released on May 21, 2019, the last major update for Windows 10, known as "April 2019 Update version 1903" or "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1903". The update will be available to download and install via the Windows Update feature (Settings -> Update & security -> Windows Update -> Check for updates), for everyone in the next days.
As usually happens with many Windows updates, in some PCs, the Windows 10 v1903 update, failed to download and install for several reasons. In this tutorial you 'll find several solutions to resolve the following problems in Windows 10 1903 update installation:
- Windows 10 v1903 update fails to install with error code 0x8007000E.
- Windows 10 v1903 cannot be downloaded (stuck on "Pending Download")
- Windows 10 v1903 freezes while installing.
- The Windows 10 v1903 installation failed at the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation with error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017.
- Windows 10 v1903 update failed to install with error 0x80242016.
How to fix: May 2019 Feature Update for Windows 10 version 1903 Failed to Install.
Important: Before proceeding to the methods below, to troubleshoot the Windows 10 Update v1903 installation issues, perform the following actions and then install the update:
1. Make Sure that you have enough free disk space (at least 32GB) before installing the update. How to Free Up Disk Space with Disk Cleanup.
2. Download and install the latest Servicing stack update for Windows 10 version 1809.
3. Remove all external storage media, such as USB drives and SD cards. Also remove any USB connected devices that you don't need. (e.g. USB Printer, USB Wireless Mouse or Keyboard Receiver, USB Wireless Network Card, etc.).
4. Temporarily disable or completely uninstall any 3rd party antivirus or security program from your system.
5. If you have enabled the Developer Mode on your system, then proceed to disable and uninstall the Windows Developer Mode, until you install the update. To do that:
- Go to Settings -> Update and Security -> For developers -> Select Sideload apps and then click Yes to confirm.
- Then, navigate to Settings –> Apps -> Manage optional features -> Windows Developer Mode –> click Uninstall and Yes to confirm.
- Restart your PC and try to update.
6. Disable Drive Encryption: If you have enabled the device encryption on your system (BitLocker, VeraCrypt), then proceed and decrypt the drive C: before installing the update.
7. Try to fix the Windows Updates problems by running the Windows Update Troubleshooter. To do that, proceed as follows:
- Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update.
- OR, (alternatively), download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
Method 1. Force Windows 10 to Download the Update v1903 from Scratch.
Step 1. Delete the Windows Update folder.
The most common cause in Windows update problems, is the incomplete download of the update. At this case you have to delete the Windows Update Store folder (C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution), in order to force Windows to re download the update.
To delete the Windows Update Storage folder:
3. From the list of services, at the right pane locate the Windows Update service.
4. Right click on "Windows Update" service and choose Stop. *
5. Close "Services" window.
* Note: If you cannot stop the Windows Update service, then:
a. Double click on it to open its Properties.
b. Set the Startup type to Disabled and click OK.
c. Restart your computer.
d. After restart, continue below.
6. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows folder.
7. Locate and then Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder. *
1. If you cannot delete the folder with error "Folder in use – try again", then restart Windows in "Safe Mode" and repeat the procedure.
2. If you have disabled the Windows Update service (Startup type = Disabled), then go to services and set the Startup type to Automatic.
8. Restart your computer.
Step 2. Download again and try to install the Update v1903.
Method 2. Install the Windows 10 version 1903 using the Upgrade Assistant.
The second method, to resolve the issues while downloading or installing the Windows 10 April 2019 update v1903, is to download and install the update by using the "Windows Update Assistant": To do that:
1. Follow the instructions at Step-1 from Method-1 above and delete the "SoftwareDistribution" folder.
2. Navigate to Windows 10 download site and click the Update now button.
3. When asked, click to Run the "Windows10Upgrade9252.exe" file to start the installation immediately, or click the Save button to run the installer later.
4. Finally click the Update Now button and follow the on screen prompts to update your system to the latest release of Windows 10, version 1903.
Method 3. FIX Windows corruption errors with DISM & SFC tools.
The next, method to resolve the Windows 10 Update 1903 installation problems, is to repair the Windows 10 system files, by following the procedure below:
1. Open command prompt as administrator. To do that:
1. In the Search box type: cmd or command prompt
2. Right click on the command prompt (result) and select Run as Administrator.
2. At the command prompt window, type the following command & press Enter:
- Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
3. Be patient until DISM repairs component store. When the operation is completed, (you should be informed that the component store corruption was repaired), give this command and press Enter:
- SFC /SCANNOW
4. When SFC scan is completed, restart your computer.
5. Try to update your system again.
Method 4. Install Windows 10 v1903 Update with an in-place Upgrade.
Another method that usually works, to fix Windows 10 update problems, is to perform a Windows 10 Repair-Upgrade, by installing the update from a Windows 10 installation media. To do that:
1. Download and run the Media Creation tool and create a USB Windows 10 installation media.
2. Disconnect from Internet.
3. Plug the USB media on your PC and run the "Setup.exe" from the USB, to update your system. *
* Note: The detailed instructions to perform that task, can be found on this article: How to repair Windows 10.
That's it! Which method worked for you?
Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.