If the Windows 10 version 2004 update, failed to install, then continue reading this tutorial. As you may know Microsoft released on May 2020, the last major update for Windows 10, known as "Windows 10 May 2020 Update" or "Feature Update to Windows 10, version 2004".
To check if your Windows 10 device is compatible to install the update 2004, navigate to Settings -> Update & security -> Windows Update and click Check for updates. After checking for new updates and if your device is compatible, you'll be informed that the 'Feature Update to Windows 10, version 2004' update is available. If you want to install update immediately, save your work, close all programs, and click Download and install. *
* Note: The update may take 1 or 2 hours to install. So, I suggest to install the update in non-working hours.
Normally, the Windows 10 Update 2004, will be installed without problems. But, as sometimes happens with many Windows updates, the Feature update to Windows 10 v2004 update, may fail when downloading or installing for several reasons. At this case, follow the detailed instructions in this tutorial, to solve the download, or the installation problems, of the Windows 10 Update v2004.
Common Windows 10 Update v2004 problems that fixed with this guide:
- Windows 10 v2004 update failed to install with error code 0x80d02002
- Windows 10 Update v2004 fails on install or download.
- Windows 10 v2004 freezes while installing or downloading.
- The Windows 10 v2004 installation failed at the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation with error 0xC1900101.
- Windows 10 v2004 update failed to install with error 0x80242016.
How to fix: Windows 10 v2004 May 2020 Update Fail to Download or Install.
Important: Before proceeding to the methods below, to troubleshoot the Windows 10 Update v2004 installation issues, perform the following actions and try to install the update again:
1. Make Sure that you have enough free disk space (at least 32GB) before installing the update. How to Free Up Disk Space with Disk Cleanup.
2. Download and install the latest Servicing stack update for Windows 10 version 1909.
3. Remove all external storage media, such as USB drives and SD cards. Also remove any USB connected devices that you don't need. (e.g. USB Printer, USB Wireless Mouse or Keyboard Receiver, USB Wireless Network Card, etc.).
4. Temporarily disable or completely uninstall any 3rd party antivirus or security program from your system.
5. Disconnect from VPN or uninstall any VPN service that you may using (e.g. AirVPN, CyberGhost, NordVPN, etc.)
6. If you have enabled the Developer Mode on your system, then proceed to disable and uninstall the Windows Developer Mode, until you install the update. To do that:
- Go to Settings -> Update and Security -> For developers -> Select Sideload apps and then click Yes to confirm.
- Navigate to Settings –> Apps -> Manage optional features -> Windows Developer Mode –> click Uninstall and Yes to confirm.
- Restart your PC and try to update.
7. Disable Drive Encryption: If you have enabled the device encryption on your system (BitLocker, VeraCrypt), then proceed and decrypt the drive C: before installing the update.
8. Try to fix the Windows Updates problems by running the Windows Update Troubleshooter. To do that, proceed as follows:
- Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update, or (alternatively), download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
Method 1. Force Windows Re-Download the Feature Update to Windows 10 v2004 from Scratch.
Step 1. Delete the Windows Update folders.
The most common cause in Windows update problems, is the incomplete download of the update. At this case you have to delete the Windows Update Storage folders, in order to force Windows to re download the update.
To delete the Windows Update Storage folder:
3. At the right pane, right click at the following services and click Stop. *
- Cryptographic Services
- Windows Update
4. Close "Services" window.
* Note: If you cannot stop the services:
a. Double click on the service to open its Properties.
b. Set the Startup type to Disabled and click OK.
c. Restart your computer.
d. After restart, continue below.
6. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows folder.
7. Locate and then Delete the SoftwareDistribution & catroot2 folders from the following locations: *
1. If you cannot delete the folder with error "Folder in use – try again", then restart Windows 10 in Safe Mode and repeat the procedure.
2. If you have disabled the Windows Update service (Startup type = Disabled), then go to services and set the Startup type to Automatic.
8. Restart your computer.
Step 2. Download again and try to install the Windows 10 Update v2004.
Method 2. Install the Windows 10 May 2020 Update with the Upgrade Assistant.
The second method, to resolve the issues while downloading or installing the Windows 10 May 2020 update v2004, is to download and install the update by using the "Windows Update Assistant": To do that:
1. Follow the instructions at Step-1 from Method-1 above and delete the "SoftwareDistribution" folder.
2. Navigate to Windows 10 download site and click the Update now button.
3. When asked, click to Run the "Windows10Upgrade9252.exe" file to start the installation immediately, or click the Save button to run the installer later.
4. Finally click the Update Now button and follow the on screen prompts to update your system to the latest release of Windows 10, version 2004.
Method 3. FIX Windows corruption errors with DISM & SFC tools.
The next, method to resolve the Windows 10 Update 2004 installation problems, is to repair the Windows 10 system files, by following the procedure below:
1. Open command prompt as administrator. To do that:
1. In the Search box type: cmd or command prompt
2. Right click on the command prompt (result) and select Run as Administrator.
2. At the command prompt window, type the following command & press Enter:
- Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
3. Be patient until DISM repairs component store. When the operation is completed, (you should be informed that the component store corruption was repaired), give this command and press Enter:
- SFC /SCANNOW
4. When SFC scan is completed, restart your computer.
5. Try to update your system again.
Method 4. Install Windows 10 v2004 Update with an in-place Upgrade.
If you still can't update Windows 10 to v2004, by following the above instructions, then proceed and perform a Windows 10 Repair-Upgrade, by installing the update from a Windows 10 ISO file, or from a Windows 10 USB installation media. *
* Note: The detailed instructions to perform that task, can be found on this article: How to repair Windows 10.
To Update Windows 10 from a Windows 10 ISO File:
1. Download and run Microsoft's Media Creation tool to download Windows 10 in a .ISO File.
2. When the download is completed, disconnect from Internet.
3. Double-click at 'Windows.iso' file and run the 'Setup.exe' from the mounted drive.
To update Windows 10 from USB.
1. Download and run the Media Creation tool to create a USB Windows 10 installation media.
2. Disconnect from Internet.
3. Plug the USB media on your PC and run the "Setup.exe" from the USB, to update your system.
That's it! Which method worked for you?
Let me know if this guide has helped you by leaving your comment about your experience. Please like and share this guide to help others.