Key-Find.com is a browser hijacker which, when installed on your computer, it changes the default homepage and search settings to “http://www.Key-Find.com” in popular Web browsers, such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, without the user’s permission. In fact, Key-Find.com hijacker modifies the browser settings in order to perform browsing redirects into advertisements and earn money from their publishers.
Key-Find.com hijacker is designed to modify your browser settings and may install additional plugins (toolbars, extensions or add-ons) in your Web browser in order to promote other links or products. Browser hijackers like this, may redirect the user’s computer into malicious websites or may install malicious programs in order to compromise the user’s computer to security risks.
Technically “Key-Find.com” is not a virus and is categorized as a malware program (“Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)” that may contain and install malicious programs on your computer, like adware, toolbars or viruses. If a computer is infected with “Key-Find.com” hijacker, then more pop-up ads, banners and sponsored links are displayed on the victim’s computer screen or inside the Internet browser and in some cases the computer speed may be slowed down due to malicious programs running on the background.
Key-Find.com hijacker program was probably installed without the user’s knowledge because it is commonly bundled inside other freeware software which are downloaded -and installed- from known internet sites like “download.com (CNET)”, “Softonic.com”, etc. For that reason, you must always pay attention to the installation options for any program you install on your computer, because most software installers contain additional software that you never wanted to install. In simple words, DO NOT INSTALL ANY IRRELEVANT SOFTWARE that comes with the software installer of the program that you want to install. More specifically, when you install a program on your computer:
- DO NOT PRESS the “Next” button too fast at the installation screens.
- READ very carefully the Terms and Agreements before clicking “ACCEPT”.
- ALWAYS SELECT: “Custom” installation.
- DECLINE to install any offered additional software that you don’t want to install.
- UNCHECK any option that says that your homepage and search settings will be modified.
To get rid of “Key-Find.com ” & restore your browser search settings, follow the steps below:
How to remove Key-Find.com browser hijacker:
Step 1. Remove Key-Find.com with with RogueKiller.
1. Download and save “RogueKiller” utility on your computer’* (e.g. your Desktop)
Notice*: Download version x86 or X64 according to your operating system’s version. To find your operating system’s version, “Right Click” on your computer icon, choose “Properties” and look at “System Type” section.
2. Double Click to run RogueKiller.
3. Wait until the pre-scan is completed and then, read and “Accept” the license terms.
4. Press the “Scan” button to scan your computer for malicious threats and malicious startup entries.
5. Finally, when the full scan is completed, press the “Delete” button to remove all malicious items found.
6. Close “RogueKiller” and continue to the next step.
Step 2. Uninstall Key-Find.com from your computer.
1. To do this, go to:
- Windows 7 & Vista: Start > Control Panel.
- Windows XP: Start > Settings > Control Panel
- Windows 8 & 8.1:
2. In control panel, double click to open:
- Add or Remove Programs if you have Windows XP
- Programs and Features if you have Windows 8, 7 or Vista.
3. When the program list is displayed on your screen, sort the the programs displayed by Installation date (Installed on) and then find and Remove (Uninstall) any unknown program that was lately installed on your system. Also remove any of these malicious applications listed below*:
- Key-find Uninstaller.
Step 3: Remove Key-find.com with “AdwCleaner”.
1. Download and save “AdwCleaner” utility to your desktop.
2. Close all open programs and Double Click to open ”AdwCleaner” from your desktop.
3. Press “Scan”.
4. When the scan is completed, press “Clean” to remove all the unwanted malicious entries.
4. Press “OK” at “AdwCleaner – Information” and press “OK” again to restart your computer.
5. When your computer restarts, close “AdwCleaner” information (readme) window and continue to the next step.
Step 4: Remove “key-find.com” from your Internet Browser Shortcut.
1. Right click on your Internet browser icon and choose “Properties”.
Notice*: You must perform the same operation for all Internet browser shortcuts, including those in your Programs list and taskbar.
2. On the “Shortcut” tab, look in the “Target” field and delete the“http://www.key-find.com/…” value written after “iexplore.exe” (for IE shortcut) or “firefox.exe” (for Firefox Shortcut), or “chrome.exe” (for chrome shortcut) and choose “OK” *
* Press “Continue” when asked to “Provide administrator permission to change these settings”.
3. Continue to the next step.
Step 5. Manually remove key-find.com search settings from your internet browser.
How to remove key-find.com search settings from Internet Explorer.
1. From Internet Explorer main menu, click: “Tools ” and choose “Internet Options“.
2. At “General” tab, delete the unwanted homepage (key-find.com) from “Home page” box & type your preferred Home Page (e.g. www.google.com)
3. At “Search” section, press “Settings” in Search section. *
Notice*: If you want to modify search settings in Internet explorer while in main Internet Explorer window, just press the “Gear” icon (on the top right corner) and choose “Manage Add-ons” .
4. On “Search Providers” options, choose and “Set as default” a search provider other than the unwanted search provider (key-find.com).
5. Then choose the unwanted search provider (key-find.com) and click Remove.
6. Choose “Toolbars and Extensions”on the left pane and then “Disable” any unwanted toolbar or extension.
- Extensions to disable/remove in this case:
- Key-find.com New Tab
- Key-find.com.com BHO
- All other toolbars or extensions from “Key-find.com”.
7. Close all Internet Explorer windows and restart Internet Explorer.
How to remove key-find.com search settings from Google Chrome.
2. On “Startup” section, choose “Set Pages“.
3. Delete the unwanted webpage “key-find.com” from startup pages by pressing the “X” symbol on the right.
4. Set your preferred startup page (e.g. http://www.google.com) and press “OK“.
5. Under “Appearance” section, check to enable the “Show Home button” option and choose “Change”.
6. Delete the unwanted webpage “key-find.com” entry from “Open this page” box.
7. Type (if you like) your preferred webpage to open when you press your “Home page” button (e.g. www.google.com) or leave this field blank and press “OK”.
5. Go to “Search” section and choose “Manage search engines“.
6. Choose your preferred default search engine (e.g. Google search) and press “Make default“.
7. Then choose the unwanted search engine (key-find.com) search engine and remove it by pressing the “X” symbol at the right.
Choose “Done” to close “Search engines” window.
8. Choose “Extensions” on the left.
9. Remove any unwanted extension (e.g “key-find.com”) from here by pressing the “recycle icon” to the right.
10. Close all Google Chrome windows and restart your Chrome browser.
How to remove key-find.com search settings from Mozilla Firefox.
1. Click on “Firefox” menu button on the top left of Firefox window and go to “Options”.
2. In “General” tab, delete the unwanted homepage: “http://www.key-find.com” page from “Home Page” box & type your preferred homepage (e.g. http://www.google.com).
Press “OK” when finished.
3. From Firefox menu, go to “Tools” > “Manage Add-ons”.
4. Choose “Extensions” on the left and then remove any unwanted extension (key-find.com) that exists there, by pressing the “Remove” button.
5. Close all Firefox windows and restart Firefox.
Step 6 . Delete Malicious Folders & Files
Notice: You must enable the hidden files view to perform this task.
- Start > Control Panel > Folder Options. Click the “View” tab.
- Click “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” &
- Uncheck the “Hide protected operating system files“
- Press “OK“
1. Navigate to the following paths & delete the following folder(s) in bold:
- C:\Program Files\SupTab\ (Windows 8, 7, Vista & XP)
- C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\SupTab\ (Windows 8, 7 & Vista)
- C:\ProgramData\Common Files\SupTab\ (Windows 8, 7 & Vista)
- C:\ProgramData\Common Files\WPM\ (Windows 8, 7 & Vista)
- C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\SupTab\ (Window XP)
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SupTab (Window XP)
- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\WPM (Window XP)
Step 7. Remove Key-find.com with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
Download and install one of the most reliable FREE anti malware programs today to clean your computer from remaining malicious threats. If you want to stay constantly protected from malware threats, existing and future ones, we recommend that you install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium:
Quick download & Installation instructions:
- After you click the above link, press at the “Start My Free 14-Trial” option to start your download.
- To install the FREE version of this amazing product, uncheck the “Enable free Trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium” option at the last installation screen.
Scan & Clean your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
1. Run “Malwarebytes Anti-Malware” and allow the program to update to its latest version and malicious database, if needed.
2. When the update process is completed, press the “Scan Now” button to start scanning your system for malware and unwanted programs.
3. Now wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware finishes scanning your computer for malware.
4. When the scan has completed, first press the “Quarantine All” button to remove all threats and then click “Apply Actions”.
5. Wait until Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removes all infections from your system and then restart your computer (if required from the program) to completely remove all active threats.
6. After the system restart, run Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware again to verify that no other threats remain in your system.
Advice: To ensure that your computer is clean and safe, perform a Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware full scan in Windows “Safe mode“. Detailed instructions on how to do that you can find here.
Step 8. Clean unwanted files and entries.
Use “CCleaner” program and proceed to clean your system from temporary internet files and invalid registry entries.*
*If you don’t know how to install and use “CCleaner”, read these instructions.